Paul's Place of Musings and Insights

the reflections of a techno-meddling teacher

By

Jumping up the ladder

So this post title is a play on my jumping back into both integrated ICT use in my room as well as blogging but also a play on the name of the tool I am using – Studyladder.

First about me – after a hectic year of ICT use in 2014 involving a new 1:1 iPad program at my school, I’ve taken a real step back from ICT integration this year, and gotten back to the basics of teaching. I won’t lie, there were students in my new class disappointed about this, with my reputation as the techie teacher preceding me, but I’m a firm believer in tech use not being tech-centric. That is, the tech should support the learning and if it doesn’t , it shouldn’t be used. I felt with the iPads last year there was a pressure to show that they were worthwhile and some of what I did pushed into the ‘using tech for its own sake’ field and that made me uncomfortable. So this year I have consciously tried to use ICT only if there is a clear advantage for the students in doing so. Its been a bit of a reset, really.

So this study ladder thing. I am using it as a basis for Mathematics homework. I can set modules for different students and monitor their performance in those modules. I can see how many times they have attempted their work, and how their results have changed through these attempts. It certainly fits my criteria of tech use as it allows functionality that would not be possible without it.

I have also started developing individual blogs for my students and through those will start delving back into more regular tech enhancement.

One Response to Jumping up the ladder

1. Jade Vidovich says:

Nice one Paul. Like you I have also taken a step back from tech integration. Moving from Year 6 in a 1:1 iPad program to Year 2’s with restricted access to the tech has been a challenge.
    I now use laptops as it is too difficult to get hold of iPads in Junior primary.

We have recently looked at our homework structure and have been trying to find something for students to do that is meaningful and relevant to their lives. Parents want different things, some want less, some want more. I think that we need to sit down and chat about how homework should be structured at our school in more detail.

Good to get blogging again.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jade